Some reading to understand what’s happening in Kobanê and Rojava
The Kurdish people are the largest nation in the world without a state. And many Kurds, especially in the autonomous region of Rojava (in Syria), aren’t interested in forming one. This fact often gets lost in the mainstream news accounts of the attacks by ISIS fundamentalists on the Kobanê (a canton in Rojava). No surprise there.
Anarchists are, of course, watching these events closely. Some have even joined the struggle from Turkey. In the hopes of helping people become better informed, here’s a list of readings/listenings. The first is a book we distribute, most are available online, and the last is info about a demo happening today in San Francisco to defend the Kobanê resistance. Destroy all borders and the states that impose them!
* Democratic Autonomy in North Kurdistan: The Council Movement, Gender Liberation, and Ecology (http://www.akpress.org/democratic-autonomy-in-north-kurdistan.html)
* The experiment of West Kurdistan (Syrian Kurdistan) has proved that people can make changes (http://www.anarkismo.net/article/27301)
* A ‘Revolution’ under Attack – the Alternative in midst the War in Syria (http://www.movements.manchester.ac.uk/the-alternative-in-syria/)
* Why is the world ignoring the revolutionary Kurds in Syria? (http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/oct/08/why-world-ignoring-revolutionary-kurds-syria-isis)
* Rojava revolution: building autonomy in the Middle East
* VIDEO: Dilar Dirik on Kobane and Kurdish Women’s Movement (http://kurdishquestion.com/kurdistan/video-dilar-dirik-on-kobane-and-kurdish-women-s-movement.html)
* Anarchists join fight against ISIS to defend Kurdish Autonomous Areas (https://libcom.org/news/anarchists-join-fight-against-isis-defend-kurdish-autonomous-areas-03102014)
* Defend the Kobanê Resistance (https://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2014/10/09/18762632.php)